10 Questions to Consider When Crafting a Bio
A great bio is a snapshot of who you are. It tells your customers and prospects why you’re qualified and why you rock.
Yes. You read that correctly. Your bio should capture your personality. It should tell others exactly what kind of person you are.
Why is this important? Because people don’t like doing business with a company. They like to work with people. Take a moment in the privacy of your own office to think of your competitors. How many people do what you do? How many people do it just as well or better?
Then consider what sets you apart. Oftentimes, this is your personality (aka why you rock).
I have spent a lot of time writing bios. It’s one of my favorite ways to get to know a new client. On the surface, the process is simple. I get together with folks, either over the phone or in person. I ask a bagillion questions. (Yes, someday bagillion will be in the dictionary.) Then I write about them.
The process can seem a bit random. It’s not. I’m trying to pull out all those little things you might not think are important. And, I’m making sure I get certain details.
These important details can be difficult to identify, especially if you’re trying to write a bio about yourself. To help you get started, I’ve bullet pointed each of them in the 10 questions below.
- Name (First and Last)*
- What’s your job title?*
- When did you join the company? (Please provide a specific date or year)*
- When did you first get involved in the industry?
- What tasks do you perform on a daily basis?
- What is/are the company’s goals?
- How do you contribute to the company achieving these goals?
- Have you pursued any higher or continuing education?
- Have you received any certificates, accreditations or degrees?
- What are your hobbies or interests outside of work?
*The questions with an asterisk highlight the details that should be included in every bio.
Beyond these technical questions, I also ask questions about each individual’s personal life. These questions can vary from interview to interview depending on the vibe you get, but might include:
- Are you from here originally? If not, when did you move here and why?
- Are you married and/or do you have kids? What are their names?
- Do you have pets?
Answer with the first thing that comes to mind:
- When I meet people I…
- My friends call me…
- I like to snack on…
Need some help crafting a bio?